One down...

Tonight is my last night in Phuket. It's hard to believe that it's been just over a week since I bid farewell to my friends and family and buggered off overseas for an undetermined period of time.

Speaking of which, it's not surprising how tense I was by the time I got here. At the beginning of June I found out that after ten years of service, I was able to take a voluntary redundancy. I joined Pfizer when I was 20 years old - made heaps of friends, had a great time, and now I've left. It's hard to believe - it happened very quickly. Since then, I put together and presented a monster presentation, had several goodbye parties, organised my flights, packed up my house, put stuff in storage, moved to Brisbane for a week, then went overseas. It's been a big couple of months, and in a sense it all seems like a lifetime ago.

This week has been lovely, from the point of view that I'm actually on holidays. Even though I didn't work for about 6 weeks after I left work, I was flat-out getting everything organised. This week, I have had 3 massages, done a cooking course at the Phuket Thai Cookery School (if you're in Phuket, it's a MUST), done a day of island hopping and otherwise lazed about the pool, reading, drinking cocktails and NOT getting burnt (a total win for this moon-tanned traveller). Oh yeah, I shot a 9mm at the shooting range here, which freaked me out. And I'm a shit shot.

It helped that my friend Chris was able to come and hold my hand while I took my first tentative steps on this trip, although it was very hard to say goodbye to him last night. It was made all the more difficult by the hotel having Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You playing in the background... as Chris said, the goodbye music could have been better.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Kho Phagnan (just north of Koh Samui) for a yoga retreat for 2 weeks, and eating nothing but raw food. That means no beer (I can live) and no caffeine (fuck, fuck, fuck...). There's snorkeling, hiking, kayaking and hammocks on this island. I plan on reading A LOT.

Anyway, I have 17kg of luggage to pack and squeeze into space bags (I couldn't do this trip without them) before the 7am start tomorrow. 7am is not officially recognised on Redundancy Standard Time (RST), so it will be a struggle. I know you feel sorry for me... deep deep down.

Also, once I figure out how to use Blogger properly on iPad (which I suspect isn't easy), I'll add photos. Until then - this is about as good as it gets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thai-m out: Two weeks at The Sanctuary, Thailand

10 reasons why Question Time is like Big Brother

Chump Bucket